Built around 1100, the Florinskirche (St. Florin’s church) originally belonged to the St. Florin monastery chapter and today is the Protestant community church in the city centre.
After French revolutionary troops took Koblenz in 1794, St. Florin’s was secularised in 1803 and used as a warehouse. Napoleon wanted St. Florin’s church turned into a municipal slaughter house with sale stands.
But that did not happen: After the city was taken over by the Prussians, King Friedrich Wilhelm III gave the building to the Protestant military and civilian community. St. Florin’s church was consecrated as a Protestant parish church in 1820 and was therefore the first Protestant church in Koblenz.
Unusual: The cannonball in the curved ceiling
The inside of the nave is harmonious and well-proportioned. Baroque cherubs in the corners remind you that the dome, originally erected in the 16th century, was renewed in 1708 after its destruction in 1688. A cannonball is inserted in the vault above the baptismal font. It was put there after the repairs on the vault to remind visitors of the destruction of the city.
Sights: St. Florin’s market
St. Florin’s church, together with the old Kauf- und Danzhaus, the Schöffenhaus and the Bürresheimer Hof make up an ensemble of four historic buildings which are one of the most beautiful groups of buildings in the city.